Thursday, February 12, 2015

3 Points for NBA Fashion: Tailored Suits, Patterned Polos & Bow Ties

On Wednesday night I caught part of Charles Barkley's interview on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.  Although his outfit was not anything to write home about, something he said made me wonder.  He made a comment about an outfit Kevin Durant wore in one of the post game interviews and how bad it was.  Now Kevin and his teammate on the Oklahoma Thunder, Kevin Westbrook, are known for their crazy fashion antics.  So I decided to take a look at NBA fashion and what I thought of it, starting with Mr. Durant.
Kevin Durant
All in all, I don't mind it.  Sure there are some wild suit colors, Clark Kent black rimmed glasses and Beats by Dre headphones, but at least he and his buddies are showing some personality.  I am not a fan of capri pants on men or a skinny jeans however.  But can you imagine how hard it is to find pants to fit?  Oh wait...I can.  He has some flair, but will still rock the traditional when needed.
Russell Westbrook
Now Russell Westbrook goes more for shock value. From bright patterned polo's to copying Justin Bieber baggy pants for the Teen Choice Awards.  He too likes the shorter, skinny pants. His colored rimmed glasses, pushed up pants and bright socks really make him stand out. I am sure sitting in post game interviews gets pretty tedious, so why not spice it up a bit...maybe he goes a little far?
Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Chandler Parsons & Steve Nash
And for your pleasure a little more NBA fashion.  I am actually surprised I knew all their names, including my new NBA crush Chandler Parsons.  More tailored suits, fun patterns, glasses and of course bow ties.

Hmmm, how to save the outfit?

Guys in suits, in my opinion, can be hard to mess up. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  But when guys make millions of dollars a year and are over 6 feet tall, pretty sure they have suits tailored made.  As for the crazy patterns, skinny and capri pants, well what are you going to do. The crazy patterns can certainly be tamed down with solid pants and/or suit jacket.  And the pants?  BURN them!

My biggest question after scouring over NBA fashion is for Kevin Durant.  What the heck is with the backpacks in the post game interview photos?  I didn't find any pictures of you walking into the arena wearing them, so why after the game?  I am pretty sure you could take it off and set on the ground.  Or don't you rich guys have people to hold those things for you?  And why have it buckled across your chest?  You going hiking later?  Just wondering...

No comments: