Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Broken Mirror Mirror, But no 7 Years of Bad Luck

There are two Snow White remakes coming out this year and hopefully the movies are better than this premiere outfit for Lily Collins.  The 'Mirror Mirror' premiere happened this last weekend in Hollywood and although this may not be the most obvious choice to comment on, I have seen this trend a lot in the last couple weeks...dresses that are far too big for its celebrity wearer. This reminds me of a young girls playing dress up in their moms party dresses.

As you can see, the skirt of the dress is extremely too "Poofy" for Lily.  Per IMDB, she is 5'5" and someone substantially taller is probably a better choice to pull off the dress.  The pattern itself is pretty and even the bodice fits nicely.  But the bottom half simple over-whelms her. 

Hmmm, how to save the outfit?

I am thinking if the bottom portion was a bit shorter it would still be too much.  Perhaps remove some of the underneath fluff and shorten and it could improve it a bit.  And maybe add a bulky necklace or earrings to offset the her lower half?  At least something to attract the eyes away from the bottom.
Far Right: Lucy Hale
As I mentioned, this is a fad I have noticed over the last week.  After watching 'Pretty Little Liars' this week, one of the dresses stood out to me the same way.  The actress wearing the dress, Lucy Hail, is only 5'2".  And although I love the pattern of the dress, you will notice she is swallowed up by it as well (picture to the right.)

Although I am a fan of glamorous red carpets and I can appreciate what Lily was trying to do, I don't think her main objective was to be overshadowed by her dress.  Lily is still young, still figuring out her fashion sense.  And no, this dress isn't by far the worst thing I have seen...even today.  But its a trend I am not a fan of.  So while we don't need to BURN the dress, (maybe give it to someone taller-i.e. me) or FIRE the stylists, I would like stylists and wardrobe departments to take notice.  I do not support this fad and please stop it!!!

But what do you think?  Comment below...

2 comments:

Tiger said...

I think the dress material is really beautiful, but I am also not a fan of the style. It's like ballroom gowns with the bottom trimmed off to show off her pretty little ankles and shoes. On the other hand, Lucy Hale's dress is far too overwhelming for me to comprehend. I think it looks terrible on her. Bleh!

Nicole said...

This is how I feel when I wear long dresses, so I am not sure why people seem to like the style. So thanks for your agreement! I actually like Lucy's pattern-very Queen of Hearts to me, from Alice in Wonderland.