Thursday, April 26, 2012

Nicole Richie is NO Fashion Star in this Dress...

I think it has been proven on this blog, that designers can make some interesting decisions in regards to their creations.  And Nicole Richie, mentor on NBC's 'Fashion Star' is no different. Not only does Nicole have the jewelry line, House of Harlow, but she also has a fashion line, Winter Kate. And at this Fashion Star event in NYC, she combined both lines to make this look...and I wish she hadn't.


If  you have read 'To Burn or Fire' before, or are a first time reader, you will see I am big on patterns being proportional to size.  Nicole is only 5'1" and much too small for a big bold pattern like this and  the length of the dress makes her legs look even shorter than they are.  Finally the knot on the top of her head only adds to the upside exclamation point of this outfit.  Only thing I like, the reddish-orange shoes...

Hmmm, how to save the outfit?

So much to say, so little time.  I will keep this relatively short and sweet.  Change the hair, less is more with this pattern of the dress, leave it down.  If we have to wear such a wild design, which she obviously loves since she designed it, make it less.  I would shorten the skirt and remove the sleeves.  If she is dead set on the sleeves, I would add a belt to add some shape.  With her arms down at her side, they just blend and she looks shorter and wider.  Just what every girl wants to hear!
As far as bad decisions go, I am sure Nicole and I would agree-probably not her worst one.  But as she is growing up, she is quickly becoming a fashion icon due to her bohemian style.  I don't think this is the best example of her Winter Kate collection, or lets hope not.  With that said, lets BURN the dress (or grow) and keep the shoes.  And no need to FIRE anyone...today!!!

No comments: